Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

Valentine Candies To Keep Away From Your Pets

Two candies our Adobe vets want to make sure stay away from your pet this season is chocolate and  Xylitol filled treats.  If you think your pet has eaten any of these, please call Adobe right away!  Hopefully keeping this out of reach of our furry loved ones will mean no emergency visits to Adobe. Here is more information about both of these candies and the dangers they pose to our pets.

Chocolate information from our ‘Tis the Season article:

Chocolate. Yum. The darker, the more intense, the better, and the more toxic. Most people know that chocolate can be toxic to dogs and cats, since they do not metabolize the caffeine-like compounds in it as well as humans do. Around Halloween, we often see pets coming in having eating Halloween candy. This is rarely a problem, since even the so-called chocolate in this candy is mostly high fructose corn syrup, sugar, fillers, and other processed junk. It is the good stuff that starts showing up a few weeks later that can cause trouble. The rich, 71% dark chocolate bar or dense flourless chocolate cake that, if ingested, can make Fluffy act like she’s had 12 cups of espresso. If enough is ingested, the consequences can be quite serious, but fortunately this toxic ingestion is rarely fatal if treated promptly.

Article about Xylitol Poisoning From the Pet Poison Hotline:

By Lynn R. Hovda, RPH, DVM, MS, DACVIM Director, Veterinary Services at Pet Poison Hotline

It seems as if everyone is on some form of dietary or fitness plan, and the countertops, shelves, and cupboards are often filled with lower calorie items. Left to their own devices, most dogs love tasty foods such as cookies and cakes, and they will readily eat them. They may also snatch bars or pieces of chewing gum from a purse or backpack, swallowing them whole.

Xylitol, an ingredient found in many of these products, is harmful to dogs, and ingestion has caused serious clinical signs and death. Xylitol is a 5-carbon sugar frequently used as an artificial sweetener in many of these products, such as chewing gums and mints, low or no “sugar” candy or cookies, and sugar-free foods such as peanut butter. It is also available as a granulated form, for use in baking or cooking. Oddly, it also has antimicrobial properties, and is present in some other nonfood products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, deodorants, lotions and skin gels.

Xylitol toxicosis is limited to a few species, with most reports occurring in dogs. In dogs, xylitol ingestion causes a rapid onset of hypoglycemia or low blood glucose. It is quickly absorbed from the stomach and upper gastrointestinal tract, reaching peak plasma concentrations in about 30 minutes. A rapid and dose-dependent rise occurs in insulin levels, concurrent with a decrease in blood glucose. Goats, cows, and baboons have all been reported to be susceptible to toxicosis, as xylitol causes an insulin release similar or greater than glucose decrease. Toxicosis in these breeds is rare, however, due to a decreased incidence of exposure.

To read more see:
http://files.constantcontact.com/0927d35e501/c5fe92fa-4f2d-43ae-beae-01b830f31298.pdf

PET POISON HELPLINE Pet Poison Helpline, an animal poison control center based in Minneapolis, is available 24 hours, seven days a week for pet owners and veterinary professionals that require assistance treating a potentially poisoned pet. The staff provides treatment advice for poisoning cases of all species, including dogs, cats, birds, small mammals, large animals and exotic species. As the most cost-effective option for animal poison control care, Pet Poison Helpline’s fee of $59 per incident includes follow-up consultation for the duration of the poison case. Pet Poison Helpline is available in North America by calling 800-213-6680. Additional information can be found online at www.petpoisonhelpline.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *